Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Designer: Yvette Craddock


Yvette Craddock, the designer and visionary behind her eponymous line, is a real treat. She's practically brimming over with inspiration and passion (not to mention exceptionally great style)! Have a listen, and don't hesitate to snag one of her creations in this week's sale.
How did you get your start with jewelry and fashion?
I began collecting jewelry years ago and discovered that I really couldn’t consistently find the type of unique statement pieces that I desired through one outlet. That discovery triggered my idea to create a source dedicated to beautiful, unique statement jewelry from a variety of artistic viewpoints. I developed the Style Folio collection to include the works of other artists. Shortly thereafter, one of my dearest friends encouraged me to design my own jewelry. One day I sat down and the designs just began to pour from my soul.
My love of fashion started when my parents accepted an invitation for me to begin modeling at the age of five. Their intent was to involve me in a new activity that would help me to overcome my shyness. Their idea worked. My coy nature was cured and my appetite for fashion and fabulous design grew – along with my closet space.
What goes into your designs? 
I start my creative process by laying out all of my gemstones and findings. Most of the time, I allow the gemstones to guide my vision and create designs in the moment. Sometimes I dream about a design, or one will come to me while I am running. I typically finish a design in one setting. Other times, I will begin a search for that extra ingredient that gives the piece its essence. I know that a piece is finished when I experience an indescribable feeling of wholeness and happiness.
What's the biggest obstacle you've encountered?
My biggest obstacle has been helping women to understand their beauty and personal power. When I first started to do trunk shows, I observed women who were afraid to touch the jewelry even with polite encouragement. It dawned on me that these women were actually afraid of their personal power and not the jewelry. Since that time, I look at this initial obstacle as an opportunity to nurture and encourage women to honor themselves.
Best business advice you've ever received?
Pursue your passion.
Best style advice you've ever received?
A friend who graduated from Parsons told me that style is not about a designer label or price tag. It is about identifying the right elements that make you look and feel your best and that truly reflect you.
What's your favorite material to work with?
I love working with gemstones for their natural beauty, healing properties, and spiritual significance.
Where do you get your inspiration?
Everywhere. I reference inspiration from colors, nature, films, magazines, photos, art... and the list continues. Each component is a source of design inspiration that truly dictates the story behind each piece of jewelry. 
How do you stay refreshed? Any places you like to go to get away?
I spend a significant amount of time in nature (the woods and oceans are my favorite places) to stay connected to the earth, spiritually balanced and to listen to my own creative voice. Exercise is also a critical lifestyle ingredient that keeps my mind focused and strong and my heart open. The ideas and inspirations flow when I enter a calming state of uninhibited bliss.
How would you define personal style?
Personal style is about celebrating your individuality and combines how you dress, behave, walk, speak, and groom yourself. For apparel, style is identifiable through timeless signature pieces that combine line, color, shape, silhouette, texture, pattern, designers, periods, accessories, and more. How you wear your hair and apply your makeup is part of your presentation. I think personal style benefits from consistency with an element of unpredictability.
You have five words to describe your style... go.
Alluring, sophisticated, boho-gypsy, dramatic, and global.
Tell us about your closet. (Well, what's inside...)
All kinds of yummy items – suits, dresses, slacks, blouses, blazers, jackets, sweaters, handbags, hats, shoes, and boots (mostly stilettos), formal attire (gowns, dresses, skirts, and blouses), capes, ponchos, coats, scarves and gloves. My wardrobe is an extension of my art collection. It is full of color and imagination anchored by basic black in unconventional interpretations. I mix designer and vintage with my own designs crafted by my tailor. Every item is uniquely me. My purchase philosophy is to invest in quality and take care of these investments so that I can keep them for years.
Any tips on styling your pieces?
Although most of my designs are on the elegant side, every piece can be worn with a simple T-shirt and a pair of jeans. The key to wearing my jewelry is to have fun and celebrate your individuality. Customers have worn jewelry in an unconventional way such as wearing a long necklace as a belt. I suggest mixing pieces to create interesting textures and pattern combinations for a more visually dynamic impact.
Any style philosophy to pass along?
Find your voice and purchase only those items from apparel to accessories that truly reflect your individuality.

You can also find me at: http://www.facebook.com/JustFabMe


Thank you The Style Hub for the article

No comments:

Post a Comment