Thursday, July 4, 2013

Designer: Kanupriya Khurana


Equal parts vintage and modern, Kanupriya’s signature look involves overseas influences (she grew up in India) and luxurious overtones, emanating an innate beauty that can be dressed up or down. Citing the smart, stylish, and fearless woman as her inspiration, the line (launched in 2010) is already a favorite among the fashion elite – from the US to South America, Europe, and Japan – and we’re so thrilled to bring it to you!

Can you tell us about your first jewelry design?
My first jewelry design was made when I was 10 – I strung together two of my mom’s pearl necklaces and made something truly glamorous! 
Where do you get your inspiration?
When I was starting out, I studied and read about a great deal of ancient Indian and Victorian jewelry, the styles and trends. Ultimately, I draw much of my inspiration from traditional Indian jewelry and add a contemporary twist.
Any story to the materials or production process?
We source materials mostly from Jaipur, Rajasthan which has a wealth of stones and unique materials to create jewelry. I personally travel to India twice a year to sit and design my collection with the talented craftsmen. A lot of jewelry is handcrafted and the intricacies of design in each piece are handled painstakingly. 
Describe your style.
Bold, Classic, Elegant, Exotic 
Tell us about the woman you design for.
Usually aged 25-45, they are smart, working, and have style, but are not afraid to experiment. They are aware of how they look and the choices they make. These women are fashion forward. I love the style aesthetic of Keira Knightley, Kate Hudson, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Halle Berry.
If you could only wear one piece of jewelry for a year…
I think my go-to pieces are my cluster necklaces, which I can wear with jeans and a shirt or a cocktail dress. Perfect for dressing up or down. 
Best styling advice you ever received?
Reinvent the vintage. Add a modern accessory and voila – you have a new look! 
How about the best business advice?
To always listen to my buyers – they are the ones who wear my jewelry and I try to incorporate their feedback in my style of working and designing.
We love imagining the life of a designer. Can you paint the scene of your workspace?
I work from home so I have the shortest commute in the world. The big wall in my office I painted deep red myself – it’s crammed with images of all my recent press. One side of the wall has mannequins which are adorned with my latest creations as they come in. The design board on my desk is filled with sketches of designs as I keep thinking of them. There is a huge color palette on my wall to pick and choose my colors for the next season.
If you need to escape from the studio for a while, where do you head?
The beach – there’s something about the ocean which inspires tranquility and creativity.

OCTAVIA EARRINGSKanupriya Nature provides great motifs for jewelry and these Octavia earrings mimic the shape of an oyster shell. The open textured drop is encrusted with crystals and oxidized silver. The post is pave as well. And a faceted coral dangle provides interesting contrast.
- Gold vermeil, coral, white diamond crystals, sterling silver
- 2 1/2" long
- Surgical steel post closure

DEVI EARRINGSKanupriya Opposites attract! Pave crystals in oxidized metal contrasts with the woven gold center on these drop leaf earrings.
- White diamond crystals, oxidized metal and 22K gold metal
- 2 1/2" long
- Surgical steel post closure

UMA HOOPSKanupriya Like sculpting with gold, these half-hoop earrings are made up of golden wire squiggles. 
- 22K gold vermeil
- 2" long
- Surgical steel post closure

LILLIAN EARRINGSKanupriya Make a dramatic fashion statement with these over-sized labradorite teardrop earrings, dangling from a hammered disc of gold.
- Faceted labradorite, 14K gold 
- 2" long
- Hypoallergenic post closure

SHANNON EARRINGSKanupriya This bling has bling! Be ready for your black tie event or New Year's Eve. The top piece of these earrings are pave crystals set in oxidized metal with a small crystal ring that links to a a large teardrop dangle with embedded crystals. 
- White diamond crystals, oxidized metal, 22K gold metal
- 3" long
- Surgical steel post closure


You can also find me at: http://www.facebook.com/JustFabMe

You can also me at: http://justfabulousme.kitsylane.com
Thank you to the The Style Hub


No comments:

Post a Comment