Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Designer: Sara Reichert


An interview with the designer.
Meet Sara Reichert, designer and creator of One OAK by Sara. Her strands (you may have spied them in EXTRA or US Weekly) caught our eye with their heavy, serpentine shapes and layering potential – so of course we had to sit down with her and get the full scoop what goes into her line.
What does your brand name “One OAK” mean?
It stands for One Of A Kind and speaks to the distinctness and uniqueness each gemstone. One Oak represents the individuality of the everyday woman. The versatile pieces can be paired with casual everyday clothing or glammed up with formalwear. With a chic but earthy feel, the collection can easily be paired with other accessories.
Tell us how you get started putting your creations together.
The materials I start with are a combination of new and vintage pieces. Selecting the materials to use is one of my favorite parts of the process. I pick based on colors that blend well with crystals to add just the perfect sparkle and shape – my favorites tend to be vintage pieces that are extremely unique and pretty. Pieces that inspire me are how I create each accessory.
After the materials and color combinations are selected, I then create the design. I like to be symmetrical with my designs, but really embrace necklaces that move when worn. This is why I work a lot with lariat styles – they move and are able to look different every day. I also love mixing different materials, for example a chunky sliced geode offset by a crystal. My goal is to create a real statement piece.
Love the idea of using vintage and recycled pieces to create something new and beautiful. Tell us more! 
I’ve always enjoyed collecting anything beautiful. Over the years, while traveling or out and about, I started collecting jewelry from various vintage shops, estate sales and flea markets from all over the world. For a long time, the pieces remained in a drawer and untouched. After my daughter was born, I decided to begin using my treasures to craft new jewelry. It was such an amazing feeling to finally use elements from the past to make something new and wearable. I was fortunate to have some really great local jewelry and beading shops in my area and very patient employees who showed me new techniques, which helped me hone in on my craft. After that, it really skyrocketed with demands and I have enjoyed creating jewelry ever since.
Tell us about some of the materials you like to work with.
By using a combination of metals in each design, One OAK is able to create a chic yet fairly priced collection. The majority of the jewelry is 14-karat gold filled, which has a hundred more times the amount of gold than gold plated jewelry. It’s also one of the safest for individuals with sensitive skin, and, under normal wear, these pieces will not peel, flake, or tarnish. Then I use brass for other pieces to create a more earthy feel with its warm patina.
We hear you also have a bit of a charity angle to what you do.
Yes. We contribute up to 1% of every sale to For the Planet, which gives back to a network of environmental organizations worldwide. One OAK believes in the preservation of the planet as it provides us with a number of resources not limited to the natural gemstones used in our full line.

You can also find me at: http://www.facebook.com/JustFabMe


Thank you The Style Hub for the article


No comments:

Post a Comment