Thursday, July 4, 2013

Designer Adia Kibur


Jewelry, like art, but perhaps more than art, is expression. At Kitsy Lane, we’re always on the lookout for designers whose work exhibits a deep understanding of our desire to express, play with, and build our style. And Adia Kibur fits that bill to a tee.
The line’s designer and a once-aspiring diplomat, Nadia Lee, was inspired to create jewelry after seeing a little girl proudly sporting a tiny metal-spring bracelet in Taiwan. She started her experimentation with guitar strings, and now fashions her designs out of the finest available materials (which you can also find at Bloomingdales, Anthropologie, Shopbop, etc.). Now that you’re duly impressed, without further ado, a closer look:
First, tell us how you came up with your brand name.
Adia Kibur is Nadia without the “N,” and Kibur is my brother’s name RUBIK reversed.
Any story to the materials or the production process?
I always look for the newest and most interesting materials that are not likely to be used in jewelry as inspiration for each season’s collection.
Best business advice you ever received?
It’s OK to say “no” if the fit is not right for you, regardless of how big or how persuasive a customer can be.
Do you remember your first jewelry design?
Bracelets and necklaces made from guitar strings but inspired by the shape of rice.
How about your very first job?
Adia Kibur is my very first job and my first business out of college. I always knew I would have my own business and do what I love most!
Can you tell us anything about your studio - paint the picture, set the scene...?
My office is retro modern but classic. It’s very much my style. I want it to be fresh and modern but very comfortable in its environment and utility. We renovated the office from an old sewing factory. We have high ceilings and big loft-like windows with lots of light and space. We put in a touch of femininity using beautiful chandeliers and wallpaper to make its space feel warm and beautiful.
What's the biggest challenge when you're designing or creating?
The biggest challenge is trying to bring the whole collection together when there are so many beautiful materials that excite me. I want to incorporate everything into each season, but am forced to choose. Therefore, narrowing down the line is the hardest part of designing each collection.
How do you keep refreshed? Any favorite places you go to take a break?
I travel to Santa Barbara often on weekends to get away from Los Angles. I love San Ysidro Ranch and Bacara best when I am there. It’s tucked away and quiet place to spend time with my family.
How about to get inspired, invigorated, motivated?
I get inspired when I travel to Asia and see how fast each city, country, and people grow and change each time I am there. I feel energized when I feel that the world is moving so fast and working so hard to move forward into the future.
Any tips on styling your pieces?
When all else fails, keep the clothing basic and put on that statement necklace for impact.
To wrap up, how would you describe your own style?
Classic in its core, yet edgy for every fashion moment.
Adia Kibur
MARCELLA NECKLACE
Mingle madness. Slender chains of multiple colored metals with a gunmetal mesh rectangle that features mixed metal fringe. Magnificent.
- Silvertone, goldtone, hemitate and copper tone metal

- 38" long (includes mesh and fringe)
- Lobster claw clasp


You can also find me at: http://www.facebook.com/JustFabMe


Thank you The Style Hub for the article


No comments:

Post a Comment