Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Designer: Laura Haggstrom of Elle V Designs


Laura Haggstrom’s bold yet fanciful creations whisk us away to simple, playful times. With bright colors and delicate filigreed patterns, they’re just the pieces we were looking for to create a one-of-a-kind look and add a little festivity. (And did you know? She’s designed for the cast ofBachelor Pad!)
Your pieces are so very bright and cheery! How do you choose your colors?
I love all color and stretching the possibilities of what you can do with those colors. I am very inspired by nature, whether a gorgeous sunset or ocean colors, and always looking for a new color combination that just works organically but isn't expected.
Where else do you find your inspiration?
My everyday life inspires me, whether I am walking through a store, on the beach – I am always seeing colors, shapes, and textures. My mind is constantly thinking and creating from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep – I can see a wall of color and beads and jewelry components and I instantly envision a fabulous new necklace, earrings, or bracelet... it is amazing to me, and I love it!
Any story to the materials or production process?
I use quite a bit of Lucite because of the great shapes and lightweight features. My most popular Lucite is a 30mm and 54mm filigree wheel that was press molded in Germany – it starts out clear and is hand-dyed any color your imagination can go, creating beautiful gem tones. I also use quite a bit of different natural stones, coral, and shell pieces... one in particular is called Riverstone, which is made of pieces of leftover sea creature skeletons (such as sand dollars, starfish, and whatnot) that are crushed up and put into a hardened resin that is dyed magnificent colors... I am always looking for new materials and textures to put together to create a truly unique look!
If you could only wear one piece of jewelry for a year…
It’s a toss up between a ring and earrings. I have two rings that I wear on my left hand that I NEVER take off, however, earrings are my favorite because they create your whole look – the first thing somebody usually looks at when speaking with you is your face, and BOOM – there are your earrings. It says a lot about someone – whether they may be a bit reserved or not afraid to make a statement. I think earrings also highlight your face and add to the beauty of it all.
Best styling advice you ever received?
Right out of college I worked for a modeling agency as an Agency Coordinator, which was where I truly got an interest in the fashion world. My boss at the time sat down with me one day (I was struggling financially just out of college and needed a new wardrobe to keep up with the demands of a high-fashion business) and told me to get about five very basic silhouettes, (such as a black pencil skirt – styles that would never go out) and then accessorize them to create a different look each day. I have lived by that ever since! My life is all about accessorizing – my mom has had me full of jewelry since I was a little girl. I think it’s in my DNA, and I learned my flair for unique jewelry from her for sure.
Best business advice you ever received?
I get great advice from so many people. “Grow your business slow and steady.” “Keep it simple and don’t put too much on your plate all at once.” I am always searching for new ways to do things and more motivation – I soak up advice from those who have found success and want to share their stories. I would say my business is truly my passion and that is what keeps me going forward and loving each and every moment.
As a designer, could you tell us how you like to see your pieces being styled?
I like to say I design for the everyday woman, whether they are running out in a white T and jeans or going out on the town and want to feel like a million bucks. My pieces range from a simple classic piece with flare or an all-out piece of wearable art. I would love love love to style for Reese Witherspoon, Diane Lane, Sarah Jessica Parker (because she is very daring with her fashion... love it!), and OPRAH.
What's your favorite spot for a design break?
My favorite place to be is with my son exploring a new relaxing little spot near the ocean. We are always near the beach in the small towns surrounding where we live – I grew up always being near the ocean and for me it is my peace and comfort.
If you had to describe your style in five words or less, what would they be?
Classy...Unique...Inspiring...Sophisticated...Fun!


Elle V Designs
KATIA EARRINGS
 Amusing and sweet, a pink lucite leaf dangles from two beads on a silver fish hook wire. 

- Wood, silver metal, lucite & resin

- 2" long

- Fish hook earwire
Elle V Designs
NELLY EARRINGS
Ellen V Design's signature style, these large filigree olive lucite disc earrings dangle from two purple beads on a silver fish hook wire.

- Lucite, silver, wood

- 2" diameter; 3" length

- Fish hook earwire

Elle V Designs
LINNEA EARRINGS
Ellen V Design's signature style, these large filigree teal lucite disc earrings dangle from a cream colored bead on a silver fish hook wire.

- Lucite, silver

- 2" diameter; 2 1/2" length

- Fish hook earwire


 Elle V Designs
ARLENE EARRINGS
Ellen V Design's signature style, these large filigree black lucite disc earrings dangle from an aqua crystal bead on a silver fish hook wire.

- Lucite, silver, crystal

- 2" diameter; 3" length

- Fish hook earwire

Elle V Designs
GEORGETTE EARRINGS
Ellen V Design's signature style, these large filigree red lucite disc earrings dangle from two turquoise colored bead on a silver fish hook wire

- Lucite, wood, silver

- 2" diameter; 3" length

- U.S.A.

You can also find me at: http://www.facebook.com/JustFabMe

You can also me at: http://justfabulousme.kitsylane.com
Thank you to the The Style Hub

No comments:

Post a Comment