Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Ashley Spencer of Dazzle Me Designs


Bold is always big. There’s something about it that’s edgy, a little bit playful, and generally popping with color. Which is why we’re loving Ashley Spencer’s beaded and woven finds! Colorfully rendered in two-tone, geometric, and on-trend angles, her handiwork demonstrates a command of the craft, so naturally, we wanted to learn more.
Ashley, we’re so thrilled to feature you on Kitsy Lane! How did you discover beading?
When I first started making jewelry, beads was my choice of material. Of course as I learned more, I tried other materials like wire and polymer clay, but I always went back to beads. Once I bought my first bead-weaving book I totally stopped making strung jewelry. I was hooked! Plus, I always loved seed beads, though stringing them is a pain.
How did you decide on your brand name?
I knew I wanted my brand name to reflect my love for sparkly bold things. So I wrote down all the words that I liked that reflected this and daily I would read them aloud to myself and others.
Your colors combinations are really beautiful, and we love the boldness. What inspires you?
I draw inspiration from many places. I like to thumb through old and new fashion magazines. When I'm looking through a magazine, I'm mostly looking at colors and patterns on fabrics and jewelry made with materials other than beads. I also like to people watch to see how everyday women wear their jewelry and what shapes I see worn most. But mostly I like to browse the internet looking at crafts, home decorations, and fashion old and new. Once my creative juices are flowing, I sit down with some beads and experiment. It's rare for me to sit down to bead and know what I'm about to make.
Tell us about your very first job.
My first job was a babysitter. I babysat my newborn baby cousin for about a year. Taking care of a newborn was something and I can't really remember much creating going on during that time. So I have to give it up to those lovely women and men running a business and taking care of their kids. It's not easy. After that, I started brainstorming ideas on how I wanted to start my business. 
We hear you do all the beading personally! What’s the hardest thing about that?
One of my biggest design obstacles so far has to be completing a project. I get burst of inspiration and I can't stop myself from trying out new ideas right away.
Is there a certain color combination, shape, or design you’re most fond of?
If I could only wear one piece of jewelry for one year I would choose earrings for sure. No matter what your face and neck area is looking like, earrings will polish your look. (Plus, I have a super round face so I'm one of those people who needs some type of earring on at all times.)
And how do you like to see your pieces styled?
I like to see my items styled or worn in a way that makes the individual feel the most beautiful. I don't think there’s just one way to wear anything, I just like to see others having fun and feeling good in my creations.
Best business advice you ever received?
If you have a creative type of business, wear or use your product daily. If you don't believe in your product no one else will.
Okay, last question: how would you describe your personal style?
That's a tough one – I like so much! Girly, bold, bright, old-fashioned comfort...

You can also find me at: http://www.facebook.com/JustFabMe


Thank you The Style Hub for the article


No comments:

Post a Comment