Sunday, June 9, 2013

Designer Spotlight: Astali - Shannon De Jong

I have a collection of jewelry at JustFabulousMe that really intrigue’s my interest.  It got my attention because the designer took coins or antique pieces and turns them into a work of art that you can wear.  I needed to know more about the designer who made this beautiful and intriguing work of art.  This designer is Shannon De Jong. 

She really inspires me as an artist.  She started her creations at a young age by turning simple objects like popsicle sticks into jewelry boxes and other different items that you will never think twice to look at, she gave them new life as jewelry.  Now she turns antique or small treasures and turns them into work of art that you can wear.  She seems to see the possibity and the beauty in everything she comes across. 

She has two passions that ruled her life: making jewelry and making rock ‘n’ roll.  For many years she work with L.A. designers but after a period of time her talents converged in ASTALI.  ASTALI is a line of unconventional accessories that are bold and have a rebel edge.   Her work has been seen in music videos by Keri Hilson and Wisin & Yandel.  Her work has also been seen in Japan’s Vogue, Germany’s Sleek and American’s Zink.

Shannon mentions that she gets her inspiration from the natural history museums and rural flea markets.  She loves to find the small treasures in the rural flea markets and the history behind each antique.  The museum is full of history and so much to look at, like all the minerals, taxidermy and other items that you cannot longer find.  I feel the same way.  I can spend days at the museum learning about the past and I know it has inspired many artists in their work.  Shannon has never recast the pieces she finds, she uses the real thing to create her work.







You can also find me at: http://www.facebook.com/JustFabMe


Thank you The Style Hub for the article




1 comment:

  1. I am always fascinated by talented artist and designers who can turn anything into a work of art. You can wear her great pieces and I think you can display them as well, they are that good. I am excited to have her jewelry in my collection at JustFabulousMe. https://justfabulousme.kitsylane.com/join/yLhVyQv

    ReplyDelete